FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RENOWNED VFX-ANIMATION-GAMES-COMPUTER GRAPHICS
FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES 2016 AWARD WINNERS
‘VIEW AWARDS 2016’
Festivals Wraps After Hosting Speakers From Five of The Top Six
Highest Grossing Films of 2016*
TURIN, Italy (November 1, 2016) – VIEW Conference 2016, Italy’s renowned animation, games, VFX and computer graphics conference has announced the 2016 ‘View Award’ winners. An exciting competition for animated short films or videogames created during 2015 and 2016 the competition’s jury featured many of the top industry names attending the conference, including Conrad Vernon (Director of Sausage Party), Director David Feiss (Open Season: Scared Silly) and Byron Howard (Co-Director, Disney’s Zootopia).
· 2016 VIEW Award. The jury awarded “Vieil Ours” (Old Bear) the top prize, citing director Chen Chen’s ability to create an expressive story without dialog, a story with layers of meaning, and an animation style that is perfect for the design. Chen Chen will receive the first prize of 2000 Euros. The 11:32 minute film was produced in 2016 by Citron Bien and distributed by Yummy Films. Pierre Dron produced.
· Honorable Mention was awarded to the emotional short animated film “Drifting Away – A La Derive” directed by Fabian Driehorst and distributed by APEmanStudio in Barcelona. Jurors noted the unique style, the painterly environments, and the interesting use of transparency to show the impact of a father’s depression on his small family.
· “Beer by Charles Bukowski,” created at NERDO Creative Studios received the award for Best Design.
· “Fox and Whale” directed by Robin Joseph received the conferences’ award for Best Environments.
· Animated short “Green Light” received the award for Best Digital Character, for the production’s robot character. Seongmin Kim directed the film, produced at DF Lab. Haejung Suk produced.
Other esteemed jury members attending VIEW CONFERENCE 2016 included Supervising Technical Director John Halstead (Pixar Animation Studios), Creative Director Adam Volker (MoonbotStudios), Professor Deborah Fowler (SCAD), Visual Effects Supervisor Lucia Modesto (TV Globo Productions), Visual Effects Supervisor Steve Emerson, Bit Films Founder Chris Perry, Daniele Volpe, Gnomon Workshop, Elisa Cantamessa, Student University of Turin, Agata Soccini, University of Turin, Prof. Maria Elena Gutierrez, President of the Jury, Director VIEW Conference & VIEWFest. Journalist Barbara Robertson served as Chair of the Jury.
VIEW Conference is Italy’s largest computer graphics and digital media conference. Each year, the renowned conference showcases a diverse cross-section of industry professionals in animation, visual effects, games, virtual reality and digital design, over five days of talks, workshops, panel discussions, interactive sessions and awards. In 2016, the conference hosted key creative talent, including Twitch Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lin, DreamWorks Animation’s ‘Trolls’ directors Mike Mitchell and Walt Dohrn, Marvel EVP of Physical Production Victoria Alonso, Lucasfilm Chief Technology Officer Rob Bredow, ILM Visual Effects Supervisor Russell Earl, ILM Visual Effects Supervisor Roger Guyett and many others.
The VIEW 2016 Conference is made possible with the support of Compagnia Di San Paolo, Fondazione CRT, Piedmont Region, Turin's Chamber of Commerce and the City of Turin.